Lecture 23 (April 19): Negotiation 101: The (Real) Airport Test (a guest lecture by Hugo Van Vuuren)
An introductory crash course on negotiation basics, principled methods developed in academia and honed in industry, and time-tested “getting to yes” tactics.
- Negotiation Scene: Nightcrawler
- HBR: Getting to Si, Ja, Oui, Hai, and Da
- TED: William Ury: The walk from “no” to “yes”
This lecture will be given by Hugo Van Vuuren. Hugo is a founding partner of Xfund. He serves as an Expert-in-Residence at the Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences and on the Board of Directors of Work-Bench, the enterprise technology growth accelerator in New York City that he co-founded at the MIT Media Lab. Hugo was on the founding team of two startups backed by Y Combinator and was a Founding Director of Artscience Labs, headquartered in Paris and in Boston. He led The Laboratory @ Harvard, served as a fellow at the Berkman Center for Internet and Society, the Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, and has won TED, PopTech, and Aspen fellowships for his research and entrepreneurial work. Hugo earned his A.B. and Master in Design Studies degrees from Harvard University.
B. On Gender and Negotiation:
1. What to say for more pay. Caroline Ghosn, founder and CEO of Levo, a professional network for millennials, shares her top five things every woman must do during salary negotiations. Fortune
3. HBR – Gender & Negotiation
C. Check out Harvard’s PON.