Transtheoretical Model (TTM) of Behavior Change
The Transtheoretical Model (TTM) of Behavior Change describes how people can develop a more positive behavior through five main steps:
- Precontemplation: no intention to change anything
- Contemplation: seriously considering change but not committed
- Preparation: intending to take action in the next month but have failed for the past year
- Action: perform the behavior for at least a few months
- Maintenance: sustain the behavior long-term
One thing that can get in the way of behavior change is cognitive dissonance, which refers to a disconnect between actual behavior and desired behavior.